Sunday, May 15, 2011

Bake sales and winning: An association game

I asked Adrianna what I should write about, and she replied, "Bake sales and winning." So here goes.

I do not understand the point of a competition bake-sale where you buy something before you know how it tastes. What is there to go on then? You're not buying the cupcakes to look at (not that there's anything wrong with having pretty food). When you don't taste it first, you are basing your decision on only two things: appearance and reputation. Because the perception of the reputation (Anna always bakes amazing desserts) and the evaluation of the actuality (this cupcake tastes funny) are separated temporally, the evaluation does not always serve to correct the perceived reality.

Which makes me think about people and how quickly they can change and how long the idea/perception others have of them can take to catch up. Maybe Adrianna used to make disgusting quiche (No offense adri. I'm sure your quiche is as delicious as quiche can be [which is to say not very]), but while she was at college she learned to make quiche that even I would like. Unfortunately, we've all spent so much time thinking of Adrianna as someone who makes bad quiche (not because we like to criticize her, only because it's one of the many things that makes her a fully realized person for us), and the lack of any evidence to the contrary (as she is away at school) only serves to confirm us in this belief. But the thing is Adrianna makes amazing quiche, quiche to die for. But nobody wants to eat it.

Adrianna, that was hypothetical. I will always eat your food. As long as it is not quiche. And has no barbecue in it.

The same goes for everyone's food. Remember Andrew's experiments with "Andrew's Everybody's Favorite Cookies"? I ate from the first batch before we even knew what they tasted like. Ok, so maybe they were made with a deliciously insane amount of sugar and chocolate, so it wasn't that much of risk, but still.

I will not, however, always clean up after people's food experiments. For the short stint of childhood when my chore was to clear the table (before the sorrowful sweeping days), I cleaned up more of Johnny's french dressing soups than I care to remember.

This was especially not-fun as the smell of french dressing makes me feel sick. And why is it unacceptable to dislike salad dressing? When I visited New York my friends and I had dinner at Serendipity. I said I didn't want dressing, and the waiter was convinced that I had to be some kind of eccentric spy (I do not know why). It was all a moot point anyway; I just fed the salad to Jyna (That makes her sound like a rabbit. In reality, she is a person).

I apologize guys; this has nothing to do with winning. But what does really? It's all relative.

Also, I am very very tired and am sure this thing is riddled with fragments, punctuation errors, and missing words. Good luck deciphering it,

Love you all.
ruth

Sidenote: I wish there was a way to speak correctly without sounding like a pretentious idiot. Take the impersonal pronouns example. Who says, "When one buys cupcakes"? Maneuvering words so sentences don't end in prepositions is even worse. "Does one see the problem of which I am talking?"

No comments:

Post a Comment