Sunday, January 5, 2014

Simplicity and a Complex World

Yes it's Sunday. But I'm posting...

I've been thinking today about the power of seeking to comprehend and view correctly a complex world while simultaneously realizing and acting as if key small and simple things are actually the foundation upon which great complexity and achievement are built.

It is easy to get lost in the complexity, grandeur and difficulty of the world and perhaps even easier to decide that there are simple truths and therefore everything is simple and straightforward. The first conclusion can lead to pride in one's own knowledge or complete despair in the impossibility of it all. The latter can lead to the exact same ends through different routes--pride because it is simple and if you'd just listen to me and despair when one follows a formula to the letter and things don't work out as expected.

The world is vey complex, and yet this complexity often grows from very simple things. How do you fold a protein precisely after assembling the DNA or form perfect crystals? It turns out you don't have to. The order arises as you add the necessary components. But if you don't ever have salt water within a given temperature and concentration range, you don't end up with salt crystals. Initial starting conditions matter greatly.

One way of saying this is that a very small turning of the smallest helm of a ship--a matter of a few degrees--determines whether it will land in California or Peru. Another is 'by small and simple things, great things come to pass'. Out of simplicity grows complexity. What simple things I focus on determine what I will learn, do, and become.

Whenever I feel my life is out of balance, I usually find that an inventory of the simple things I know I need to do comes up lacking. The converse is also true. When I am happy with life I am focusing on the simple things that matter.

When we focus on the important, but simple things first, we begin to build the capacity for handling complexity, and what was once complex begins to appear more achievable ans simple.

Now I'm not saying that the world becomes more simple, or that if you just do these five things you will be rich, content, intelligent, happy, and carefree. That would imply that life, the universe, everything really IS simple and not complex at all. (The answer is 42 by the way.)

Rather, if we'll determine what really matters and then focus on that, then the rest will seem easier and we will be able to, in the long run, and on average, build to become the people we desire to be.

What small and simple things matter to me? Glad you asked.

How sincere are my prayers? Am I having scripture study? Am I thinking about and taking the time to serve others? Am I remembering to eat and be organized? (yeah, I forget to eat sometimes :) Am I taking time for those I love? Am I taking note of how they are doing and strengthening family ties?

Am I writing? Particularly journal writing? (ouch) Am I taking the time to REMEMBER while making sure to live in the present? Am I learning, working, and serving?

Well that's a start. What small things do you find important personally at this time in your life?

1 comment:

  1. I do believe that this is a very complex world, so complex that if not careful, a person can get swallowed up in it and forget the small and simple things. I know that I have had times when all I can think about is my responsibilities, my bills, my unfinished work and the list goes on and on. Then a still small voice whispers to me to hush...look, listen to all that I have given you. Pay attention! for there is much!

    This is when I notice the beautiful sunset before me made of pinks, purples and oranges and completely unique from the last one that I saw. This is when I hear the voices of my loved ones speaking words of endearment to me and feel the touch of a hand holding mine. This is when I think of the many blessings given freely to me by my loving Heavenly Father. This is when I feel peace in my heart!

    The small and simple things that mean so much to me....

    The nature that is so beautiful and all around me. The love of a Heavenly Father who is always there when I need him most. My family who's love is one of my
    greatest blessings. Brothers and sisters from my Ward who don't have to care but do in so many ways.

    It is a complex world, but by paying attention to the small and simple and I would add beautiful things in our lives, we get the most of what God gives us. Peace, Hope, Harmony!

    ReplyDelete